OVMS TMC server change of address
So long as your vehicle is online and connected, you don't need to do anything. But please expect a short outage of OVMS services around 13:00GMT on 9th September 2014.
For the past few years, TMC (Tesla Motors Club) have kindly sponsored OVMS use of a server hosted in the USA. They have recently moved this server to a new address, which means that we must also migrate OVMS users over to the new address.
The old address is 126.96.36.199 and the new address is 188.8.131.52.
This address is used in two main places:
- In the Apps (via DNS name 'tmc.openvehicles.com' which resolves to 184.108.40.206).
- In the cars (via parameter #4 PARAM_SERVERIP, expressed directly as the IP address 220.127.116.11).
On 9th September 2014, around 13:00GMT, the OVMS team will make the following changes:
- The new TMC OVMS server will be brought up running live.
- The DNS record for tmc.openvehicles.com will be changed to 18.104.22.168.
- The old TMC OVMS server code will refuse app connections and start redirecting vehicles connecting to it to instead go to 22.214.171.124. It will do this by sending a configuration command to the vehicle module to change parameter #4 to 126.96.36.199, and then disconnect the link.
After the switch, we plan to leave the old TMC server up for 24 hours to allow time for stragglers to connect in. After that time, vehicle modules will not be redirected and will have to change their server IP address via SMS reconfiguration.
We do expect some service unavailability during this switch time. In particular, the DNS record for tmc.openvehicles.com has a 4 hour TTL (that we cannot easily change), so DNS caching may impact your service availability. We have created a temporary DNS record (tmc2.openvehicles.com) that you can use in your Apps if you want to minimise disruption. Alternatively, just don't use OVMS apps in the four hours leading up to 13:00GMT.
As a final note, we would like to thank the TMC community for their past and continued support of the OVMS project.