OVMS v3.1 Production
Attn: All OVMS users
We are pleased to announce the availability of production volume for OVMS v3.1. The design has been finalised, and fasttech.com now has stock of production kits. Specifications, Pricing, and details, follow.
Bundle Kit: OVMS v3.1 module (US$90) + OVMS v3.1 modem (US$60)
Existing users: US$130 (uses US$20 Fasttech discount coupon code offered to all existing OVMS v1/v2 users)
New users: US$150.
* Black injection-moulded plastic enclosure
* ESP32 WROVER processor (16MB flash, 4MB SPI RAM, 520KB SRAM, dual core 160/240MHz Xtensa LX6 processor)
* WIFI 802.11 b/g/n
* Bluetooth v4.2 BR/EDR and BLE
* 3x CAN buses
* 1x Micro USB connector (for flash download and serial console)
* 1x Micro SD card slot
* 1x Internal expansion slot
* 8x EGPIO, 2x GPIO
* 1x GSM antenna connector
* 1x GPS antenna connector
* x DB9 vehicle connector
* 1x DB26 expansion connector
* OVMS v3.1 SIM5360E 3G modem module (either US or EU edition)
- Modem is an optional plug-in module, that can be changed in future (to allow for new technology)
- 3G (EV-DO/HSPA+) dual band modem
- Includes 2G (GSM/GPRS) and 2.5G (EDGE) quad band
- Nano (4FF) SIM slot
- HOLOGRAM.IO nano sim
- US edition is SIM5360A (Dual-Band UMTS/HSPA+ 850/1900MHz, Quad-Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz)
- EU edition is SIM5360J(E) (Dual-Band UMTS/HSPA+ 900/2100MHz, Quad-Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz)
As well as the bundle kits, there are also limited numbers of wifi-only (no cellular) modules and optional modems available on fasttech.com.
We are now in full production. Over the past few months we’ve installed more than 100 OVMS v3 kits running in cars around the world and things seem stable. However, please note:
* Firmware is not complete, and should be considered beta
* Functionality is approximately equivalent to basic OVMS v2 firmware, but some advanced features (such as ACC, SMS control, etc) are not available yet
* Firmware is far in advance of v2 in other aspects (such as built in web server, metrics, console, tcp/ip support, diagnostics, geofencing, scripting, etc)
* Firmware can be updated either Over The Air (OTA), by Micro SD card, or over USB interface
* Vehicle support currently includes: Kia Soul EV, Nissan Leaf, Renault Twizy, Tesla Roadster
* Some experimental vehicle support is on-going (such as for Volt/Ampera, and Tesla Model S and X)
Antenna and Vehicle Connectors
The antenna and vehicle connectors for OVMS v3 are the same as for OVMS v2, and existing cables/antennas can generally be re-used for OVMS v3. Note, however, that the frequency ranges supported by individual 3G networks may be different than 2G, so may benefit from an antenna specifically designed for the 3G frequency ranges used.
OVMS v3 includes experimental support for an OBDII style HUD. The OVMS module emulates an OBDII ECU, providing a 500kbps CAN bus conforming to OBDII communications standards. This allows you to plug in OBDII standard devices (such as dongles, HUDs, displays, and others) into the module - even in cars that don’t support the OBDII standards. A “HUD” cable (providing a female car-side OBDII port) is now available on fasttech.com for this.
Coupon Code and Ordering Arrangements
For existing OVMS v1 or v2 users, please login to www.openvehicles.com, then click My Account, then Vehicles. You will see the Fasttech coupon code next to your registered vehicle. When using the Fasttech ordering system, add the products you want to your cart, click View Cart, then “Have a coupon code?” to enter the code.